Less Invasive Laparoscopic Urology Surgical Procedures
The laparoscope is a specialized instrument that allows us to operate through much smaller incisions. That means less scarring and a faster recovery for most patients, not to mention greater precision during surgery. Urology surgeons at Orange County Urology Associates frequently perform laparoscopic procedures, including:
- Laparoscopic radical da Vinci nephrectomy (total kidney and renal cell cancer removal)
- Laparoscopic simple nephrectomy (kidney removal due to chronic infection, obstruction, calculus or severe trauma)
- Laparoscopic nephroureterectomy (kidney and ureter removal)
- Laparoscopic renal cyst ablation (removal of benign cysts from the kidneys)
- Laparoscopic da Vinci robotic prostatectomy (treatment for prostate cancer)
The benefits of minimally invasive surgery
Laparoscopic surgery is also called minimally invasive surgery (MIS), bandaid surgery and keyhole surgery. It’s a modern surgical technique in which we perform operations through small incisions (usually 0.5–1.5 cm) as opposed to the larger incisions needed for traditional open surgery. Laparoscopy uses images displayed on a TV monitor to magnify field of view and the surgical elements.
There are a number of benefits to the patient with laparoscopic surgery versus so-called “open” procedures. These benefits include reduced pain from much smaller incisions, reduced bleeding and scarring, and shorter recovery times.
Our laparoscopic surgery patients come to us from Lake Forest, Huntington Beach, Laguna Hills, Irvine and Mission Viejo in Orange County, CA. Find today’s safest, most effective robotically-assisted procedures at Orange County Urology Associates. Call us at 949.855.1101 or use our online Request an Appointment form to schedule your consultation with one of our urology doctors.